Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My new pump

I have started a insulin pump. I have only been on it for around two months.

Before I had the pump I had to take a shot of Lantus at night for my basal insulin. Then every time I ate I took a shot of another type of insulin called Humalog. I got very good at giving myself shots.

My pump works differently. I change the insert site every two to three days. It does boluses and basal, so no more shots! I also have a meter that is connected wirelessly to my pump. It can check my blood glucose and then I choose a bolus setting (normally ez- carb). I type in the carb count then it figures out the insulin bolus I need. It even has carb counts for various foods for me to look up.

I like the pump better because:
Taking shots every time I ate gets very annoying, especially at potlucks or big holiday meals.
The pump is very comfortable to wear and no shots!

One thing I don’t like about the pump is that is jostles around a lot. But I am getting used to wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment