Thursday, January 21, 2010

The hospital

It has been a while since I was diagnosed but these are a few things I remember.
When I was diagnosed they said they would have to keep me in the hospital so they sent me home to wait until they were ready. On our way to the hospital we rode in my dad's car but one of the tires was slightly flat when we left. So when we were about half way there it went flat! We had to call my uncle to use his car.

When we signed in they checked my blood sugar it was a little over 300. They put me in a regular room and gave me an IV (it was in my arm). After I got them I watched TV and then had a nap. Later they moved my bed to the pediatric ICU because my lab results were bad. Then for the second time they moved me to a regular room so I could take classes in the morning.

I slept in a hospital bed but for my parents there was a bed that folded out of the closet! I remember being woken up at night. Once they woke me up to check my blood sugar I don’t remember what it was but they gave me a shot and a glass of cold milk.

I went to take my first class about how to manage my diabetes. They showed me how to give myself a shot. For an example they used a half ball closed at the bottom. I learned how to check my blood sugar and give my own insulin shots.

Some people came to visit. After the visitors left I went to the play room and painted and did crafts. Other people called. And lots of people brought gifts, balloon, flowers and craft stuff. Everyone was praying for me.

For a while I couldn’t eat. Then for my first meal I had a hamburger and fries. The food they gave me was NASTY! But with the food came a plastic duck and the next two lunches I ate I had an animal on the platter. Also I had cold pizza and for dessert I had vanilla ice cream that was slightly melted. I was so hungry when I got out of the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment